Friday, September 9, 2011

Quiz-isms

Quiz speaks his own language, one in which my husband and I are fluent. But others often require translations. We're thinking of making our own version of Rosetta Stone or perhaps a Quiz to English dictionary.

Here's a short list of our favorite Quiz-isms.

Wado = water
Fwoot Ninja = Fruit Ninja
Neat Thins = Wheat Thins
Socko = soccer
Bajamas = pajamas
Cwistie= Christie (I was City until he was 4, so he's making progress)
Fasto= Faster
Twansfomas = Transformers

First Wife texted me last night and said she was worried about his speech impediment since she assumed it would clear up by now. They were practicing counting, and she had a hard time understanding a lot of what he was saying.

The L's and Th's are still hard for him, but he can say them if he really concentrates and slows down. The R's on the other hand, just aren't happening. He's not able to say that sound at all and only gets frustrated (fwustwaited) when he tries.

I seem to remember a conversation with his preschool teacher who said not to worry until he's 8. So, until some professional tells me otherwise, I just enjoy the cuteness.




2 comments:

  1. My son turned four this spring, and there are still lots of things that he has his own words for. His vocabulary is growing daily. My daughter, who is 6, used to swap out letters: R became W, TH was D, etc. She did it a lot, and then seemed to stop over night. It's one of those things we don't worry about until someone expresses concern. I think it's in our nature to worry.

    I'm sure he'll be fine! Sometimes I'll pretend I can't understand my son. He'll say "fampoline" and I'll say "What's a fampoline?" Then he'll think about it and carefully say "twampoline". He still has trouble with the "tr", but most things he can correct if he's paying attention. I think half of it is that they are so used to doing it this way that they don't even think about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is almost 8 and has been in speech therapy since she was 3. If I were you (if you have that authority), I would call your local AEA district or school and talk with them about services. They are free and they generally do this at the elementary school. We are learning that my daughter might have some hearing issues that are not allowing her to hear the F, H, L, R and several other sounds. We do correct her when she mispronounces words, but we have her look at our mouth to see how the sounds are formed, and it is really making a difference. That is just my 2 cents worth...good luck!

    ReplyDelete